Princess Diaries

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Challenged in New Ways at Para Camp
I spent the past week working at a paralympic "Learn to Race" camp. I have ridden with some of the paralympic athletes over the past few years but never coached any of them. Needless to say, the past week was quite a challenge as I had to adapt my coaching style for all types of athletes, abilities, and types of bikes. As you can see in this picture, I am rely on vision for teaching. Well, many of my athletes were blind and riding tandems with sighted riders. I literally had to get hands on to teach them throughout the week.
We also had a big group of handcyclists. I had never seen a handcycle before camp started and was amazed and perplexed by those machines. We even got them out on the track for a few laps.
We also had single leg amputees and brain injuries. The week was filled with incredible athletes who had a lot of determination and courage. I was continually impressed by their abilities.

And, fortunately, camp ended this weekend as yesterday (the last day of summer) came complete with our first snowfall...and we expecting up to an inch of snow tonight. There is a winter storm warning in the mountains tonight as well...seriously, on the first day of fall!?!?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home