Princess Diaries

Friday, August 21, 2009

Kate=Cancer Killer and National Champion in 11 months time!
I woke up singing "I Gotta A Feeling" this morning and knew it was going to be a good day...I was anxious for the Points race but also knew I wanted to win it bad, real bad...and I did!!! In order to win, I had to have one of the best races of my life. While I made a few mistakes, I rode it well enough to to stand on top of that podium and wear the stars and stripes jersey I have been gunning for since the day I started chemo. I mentioned in my last post I told my chemo nurse I would be on the podium this year...well, really I told her I was going to win a jersey this year...and I did!
And I was blessed to be able to share the experience with my parents. They have supported my racing for the past six years and when I told them I was riding well and going for the gold, they decided to come watch my quest. It is big to win a national championship but it is even bigger when you win a national championship the same year you were diagnosed with and beat cancer. As I rode my rollers yesterday I realized today's race was on the eleven month anniversary of my diagnosis. Eleven months ago to the day I was diagnosed with cancer...so all I have to say is take that cancer!

And I certainly could not have won without my local cycling ladies, some of my favorite people in this city. Many thanks to Aim (farthest left) who raced the Points race for me tonight. She was like my safety blanket and it was huge to know she was out there to help me win. And I certainly could not have done it without Katie's (left side of me) guidance! I told her I wanted to win a jersey the same year I beat cancer and she got me on top of that podium. In fact, I surprised her with my burst of speed tonight...sprinting has not been my forte but I am starting to get the hang of it and have a few good accelerations in most races now. Renee (right side of me) gave me the lowdown on the women in her race tonight (our groups were combined) which was a huge help. And Melissa has been an awesome support and fan throughout everything. Really, they have been there for more than one race or this season, they have been there for six years and I was so happy to celebrate with them tonight. And many thanks to the rest of my cheering posse...it was so fun to see the stands full knowing many people were out there for me as well as knowing I had people cheering for me all over the world! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home