Princess Diaries

Friday, June 12, 2009

High School Graduation
As many of you know, I have been working with highschoolers for the past three years. Last week I spent an afternoon at Palmer High School's graduation. I have not been to one of those since Peter and Chris graduated high school many years ago. It was the usual pomp and circumstance complete with class speakers attempting to be funny but really saying nothing at all. The show was stolen by their superintendent who is retiring and played a song on his guitar about their graduation and his upcoming retirement. It actually made me laugh out loud.
And along with high school graduation goes open houses. I spent Saturday afternoon hanging out with "my highschooler" (as I have affectionately referred to her for the past two years) at her open house. It was fun to see a lot of people I have not seen in a very long time; however, the past few weeks have started a trend in which everybody stares at me like I have a disease. Well, I did, and all of the people that I have not seen since my diagnosis don't know I am cancer free now so they stare at me wondering but too scared to ask. I think I should just wear a sign saying "I'm cancer free and fully healthy!"

Jaimee's (my highschooler) younger sister was very amused that I showed up to the open house with "Ms. Brown." Heather is a high school teacher and Julia was so intrigued that we were actually friends (because teachers obviously don't have friends outside of other teachers). She approved us as a "good friend couple" though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home