Princess Diaries

Saturday, September 15, 2007

2007 Girls' 14er: Mt Massive!
Today was the annual girls' 14er, while the group was smaller than last year it was still definitely a good time despite early morning lightening on the way to Massive and the 13.6 miles that took us up and down the mountain.
We started on the trail at 7am which was perfect timing to enjoy the early morning sun and the changing color of the Aspen leaves.
And despite leaving the house at 4am this morning, we were all smiles and excited to start the day.
Not only were the leaves changing, I believe this may have been the first snow of the year...check out Mt. Elbert (Colorado's highest peak)...it was definitely dusted this morning.
Oh yeah, and it was SUPER WINDY! There were definitely times I thought I was going to blow over...it was a long hike up in some crazy head winds! We hiked from 7am to 3:15 pm!
But of course we made it to the top of Colorado's second highest peak and the third highest peak in the continental US!
This years super trooper group included me, Mandy, Teresa, and, of course, Col. It was pretty darn windy up top, so we took pictures and ducked back down below the ridge as quickly as possible.

The view from the top...did I mention that I hiked more than a half marathon today...my legs are fried (again!) By the way, this is my 7th 14er and 5th successful summit!

1 Comments:

  • At 6:40 AM, Blogger The Pullems said…

    Congrats on your achievement! Whenever you post such beautiful pictures from your hikes, it makes me want to join in the fun... and I don't even know what a 14er is!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home